The duties of the Nassau County comptroller don’t include conducting opinion polls and wooing minority communities in the hope of winning a Democratic primary for county executive.
The responsibilities include, according to the county website:
- Monitoring Nassau’s budget and financial operations.
- Auditing government agencies and agencies with county contracts to uncover waste and abuse.
- Reviewing county contracts and claims.
- Reporting on matters that significantly affect Nassau’s financial health and operations.
- Working with the administration and legislature to help the county overcome fiscal challenges.
- Preparing Nassau’s comprehensive annual financial report.
- Administering the county payroll and employee health benefits.
So, why did Maragos use interns to conduct a tiny poll of Long Island Rail Road riders after his threat to audit the LIRR fell flat? Why is he threatening to withhold $28 million even he says the county legally owes the LIRR?
For more, please click Newsday above.